Thursday 10 November 2016

Trying recipes I found on Pinterest | 3. Pumpkin Dump Cake

It's been a while since my last Pinterest-inspired post but I had an Autumnal recipe that I was dying to try out before the Christmas season had chance to get underway fully - Pumpkin Dump Cake. I invested in a few tins of pumpkin puree whilst they were in the supermarkets over October so I could easily attempt pumpkin-related recipes. Pumpkin Dump Cake was a recipe that I came across whilst innocently searching pumpkin recipes on Pinterest. It seemed easy and looked delicious. One that I could certainly attempt.

pumpkin dump cake easy recipe UK autumn

pumpkin dump cake easy recipe UK autumn

I was aiming to take this cake to a bonfire party my friend was hosting but life got in the way and I spent my day at IKEA instead of whipping up this beauty. Rather than not enjoy its deliciousness, I decided to make it the Monday after when I had a cheeky day off.

Traced back to The First Year blog, this recipe is really easy to make, you've just got to ensure you've got all the ingredients. Which I guess you need to do for all recipes... Let's just get on with it, shall we?

pumpkin dump cake easy recipe UK autumn

To make this recipe you will need:

- One tin of pumpkin puree
- 285ml evaporated milk
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp of pumpkin spice (great infographic for making your own here)
- 220g butter (melted)
- One box of plain cake mix (vanilla is fine)

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees and grease a large rectangular cake tin (or lasagne dish). Start by mixing the pumpkin, milk, eggs, sugar and spice together in a bowl until combined. Pour this into your dish, then sprinkle the cake mix across the top evenly. Get your melted butter and pour this over the cake mix ensuring that you evenly distribute this.

When you've done this, put this in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour checking that the centre has set, the edges are brown and then when you put a knife into the middle it comes out clean. I found that leaving this in for a little longer ensure it wasn't too soggy on the bottom was better, the top of mine didn't burn it just got a little crispier.

So, what was it like? It is such a strange recipe for sure, I never thought that adding the cake mix like this would work but it came out beautifully. The bottom had set like the filling of a pumpkin pie, gooey and delicious, and the top was crispy and sugary. Warming it up and pairing it with a dollop of ice cream was the perfect idea.

Although I'd never heard of 'Dump Cakes' before undertaking this recipe, I'll definitely be searching more out!

What about you? Is this something you'd attempt? Maybe I'll look for a Christmas variety for December...
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© this Northerner.

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig