Tuesday 26 July 2016

Why I buzz off Teesside, and why you should too.

People from Teesside don't always have the best things to say about where they live. I personally have many good things to say about our little patch. When I was younger I was definitely not as passionate about the Tees as I am now. It's hard to understand what you've actually got in your town when you're young as you don't have the freedom to explore. My nights were spent on MSN or roaming the streets. I can see how I'd never find Teesside interesting when those were my pastimes.

Now that I'm older and I've had the chance to explore Teesside, as well as many other cities in the UK, I can see the greatness we have here in the North East. Forget all the big busy cities, Teesside is where it's at.

Middlesbrough Newport Bridge Great Teesside

In cities, I always get so irritated by how busy it is. So many people, so many cars, never getting anywhere and always feeling so squished in public transport. When I'm in Teesside I enjoy the quiet. Don't get me wrong, on a Saturday in Middlesbrough centre you can find me getting irate, but it's nothing as bad as being on Oxford Street or in Trinity Leeds.

Fair enough in comparison to cities, we may not have the most popular shops or common chain eateries but what we do have is creativity and entrepreneurship. The wealth of independent retail outlets and restaurants we have makes our area so very unique. So what you have a Byron and a Zizzi's, have you tried a Mohujos' Burrito, Songbird Bakery's cupcakes or Cena's amazing pizzas? No! Well, get yourself to the North ASAP.

Cena Yarm Great Visit Teesside

Mohujos' Burrito Teesside Visit Great
Songbird Bakery Cupcake Middlesbrough Visit Teesside

If we ever do happen to be treated to a chain restaurant/store, you can bet we'll be super excited about it. Everyone in cities has everything at their fingertips.

When you've ventured up here you can stay and enjoy the fantastic views. Yes yes, I hear you, we have a lot of industry and to some people this can be ugly, but take a look in a different direction and you see wonderful greenery or the beautiful North sea. Teesside boasts some great seaside locations including Saltburn which frequently gets 'yarn bombed', Seaton Carew, Hartlepool and Redcar. Once you've indulged in a lemon top near the sea you can then hop in the car for twenty minutes and reach the North Yorkshire Moors.

Redcar Saltburn Seaside Visit Teesside

Take a trip up Roseberry Topping or pop up to see Captain Cook's monument. Once you reach their summit you'll get some amazing vibrant views of the local area and farmlands. It's truly stunning and you'd never realise you were so close to Teesside. Although dog walkers and hikers are usually a friendly bunch, the people of Teesside are always pleasant people to be around so you'll definitely find you start up a conversation wherever you go.

Visit Teesside North York Moors Captain Cook Monument Walk

On Teesside, we're not shy of fancy places for a night away or a tasty meal. Wynyard Hall is probably one of the most well-known Northern county homes but we've got some other gems including Crathorne Hall, Hardwick Hall and the most recent addition to the bunch, Acklam Hall which was previously an old school.

Acklam Hall Middlesbrough Visit Teesside

Acklam Hall Middlesbrough Visit Teesside

I must not forget to mention the two aspects of Teesside which really sell it. That has to be Middlesbrough F.C and the parmo. People in Middlesbrough have a real passion for the Boro. You have to admire the Boro's fighting spirit to get back into the Premier League and of course, their heavy partying the night after. Northerners know how to get on it, that's all I'll say. When you've had a hard night the only thing that will make it all better is a parmo.

What's a parmo you ask? A parmo is a Middlesbrough delicacy which involves deep frying a chicken breast covered in breadcrumbs, slathering it in bechamel sauce then covering it with cheese and sitting it under the grill to make it oozy and gooey. When it's done and you're ready to have it with the usual chips, salad and garlic sauce. You can't have it without garlic sauce, it's like an unwritten rule...

Parmo Middlesbrough Takeaway Visit Teesside

I'll finish this post by mentioning the area's enthusiasm. Okay in recent months we've not had the best of times, but I think the majority of us are always looking for the positive. There may have been a loss but there is now room for a number of opportunities.

We've got so much to offer which I think people from outside the area, and sometimes locals,
don't realise. I'm always so keen to buzz about Teesside and get people to come and experience it. I think when you visit you'll definitely have a change of heart about the area.
SaveSaveSaveSave
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. Totally agree - Teesside gets some bad press but it really is a great place with lots of great things to do.

    Lol at 'yarn-bombing' Saltburn :')

    Great post - up the boro!

    www.numbertwentysix.co.uk

    Kirsty xo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boyfriend's from Teeside and I love it! Roseberry Topping is one of my fave places and I LOVE parmos!! ❤️

    Little Miss Katy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm ashamed to say I very rarely ever go to Teeside BUT I am hoping to run a race at Roseberry Topping in the winter!!

    Katie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've captured so many of our area's positive features, really great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES YES YES YES!! It literally makes me cry inside when I hear people being mean about where they are from. Most of these people have probably never bothered to get out and actually properly explore! I'm proud of every single city I've lived in!

    Roseberry Topping has been on my to do list for the longest time but now we have a car I'm hoping to get there soon!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Middlesbrough was a good place to live but there is just to many immigrants and they are taking over , just drive down parliament road on a night

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this Dani. :) Love how passionate you are about your home. :)
    Although born in Durham, I've spent a lot of my childhood and early twenties in the NE area and there really are some belter of places to visit. Sadly, as with a lot of things, which I can totally relate too, you just don't appreciate them until you're older and wiser. I used to hate living where we do when I was a teen, but now I can't think of anywhere else I'd be happy raising our little boy. :)
    I have yet to have a parmo.. :/

    Caroline.x
    www.carolineelgeywhite.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post as I'll admit I was a ashamedly bit clueless about Teeside but you've sold it to me!

    I've just recently bought a Sat Nav so have been looking for new beaches and places to visit, I think I'll have to try a lemon top whilst I'm there! x

    ReplyDelete

© this Northerner.

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig