Tuesday 12 August 2014

The Boiler Shop Steamer - Newcastle

Whenever I venture to a city I have to find a new exciting place to eat. On the train up to Newcastle, my friend and I discussed going to the Fat Hippo, having only heard good reviews. However, when we were separated on our second train (as it was so busy) I overheard a group of people talking about an event and they reminded me that I wanted to give the Boiler Shop Steamer a try.

I'd been going on about this to Matt saying that I wanted to go as it is right up our street. Amazing food in an industrial quirky setting. The group that were chatting about this on the train mentioned it was free before 6pm on Saturday so I suggested it to my friend and she was up for.

The Boiler Shop Steamer - Newcastle Review

The Boiler Shop Steamer - Newcastle Review

I got directions on my phone to the venue from the train station and to my surprise it was about five minutes away, just behind the train station. That was a bonus as it was just starting to rain. When we walked up to the warehouse I was amazed! It looked so good, I was literally giddy to get inside and see what it was like. It didn't disappoint. Inside it looked like a disused warehouse with light shining in from the top windows and around the perimeter were different food vendors selling many cuisines as well as a bar with cocktails and beer.

The Boiler Shop Steamer - Newcastle Review

The Boiler Shop Steamer - Newcastle Review

We wandered around the stalls to see what was on offer and funnily enough, we decided on a burger from the Fat Hippo stall. Instead of paying the vendors directly with money you had to get tokens. Almost everyone's menus had a price listed next to the item in tokens and each one was worth £2. Our burgers were two tokens each and our fries 1 token, so basically the burgers were £4 each and the fries £2 which I think is pretty decent.

The Boiler Shop Steamer - Newcastle Review

The Boiler Shop Steamer - Newcastle Review - The Fat Hippo

The Boiler Shop Steamer - Newcastle Review - The Fat Hippo

The Boiler Shop Steamer - Newcastle Review - The Fat Hippo

The Boiler Shop Steamer - Newcastle Review - The Fat Hippo

Although not the most attractive burger in the world, after being squished in the wrapper fresh from the grill, it certainly tasted great. The burger was cooked to perfection being a little pink inside and there was no grizzle or nasty bits in the meat just squishy yumminess! On top of the burger was cheese, pickles, ketchup and mustard - so simple yet so tasty! There weren't that many people around at about 12.30pm on Saturday but I noticed on twitter that on the night it was ram-packed! Definitely, the place to be!

The Boiler Shop Steamer is on every first weekend of the month in Newcastle. I would definitely go again as the venue is amazing (if a little warm!), the food is gorgeous and the drinks are pretty nice too!

Have you been to this before? What do you think of it?
SHARE:

14 comments

  1. I can't believe I missed this! Defo need to try and go to the next one. Burger looks amazing!!

    Lou - whiskyandpancakes.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing, and that burger looks delightful!
    Jade x
    www.jadeddaily.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so going to attempt to go here in September! It sounds amazing!
    Kloe xx
    skullsnkisses.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe I STILL haven't been! You have prompted me to put future dates in the diary though so I am determined to get there, it looks so so sooooooooo good and it's just stupid I haven't got myself there yet!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the Boiler Shop Steamer, always a great place to take mates when they come to visit! www.lifeingeordieland.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always find some of the tastiest burgers are the ugliest ones! I mean, sliders are huge in the US and they are some messy looking things to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard a lot about the Boiler Shop Steamer and it looks fantastic! I will have to give it a visit the next time I'm over in Newcastle. I've heard the gigs and clothing stalls are great too!

    Scottish Outlander

    ReplyDelete
  8. My friend said he couldn't eat another fat hippo burger again. When I asked why he said the last on energy kille shim it was that big/good so that right there is a challenge in itself. I need to try this next time i'm in Newcastle. OOO BURGERS...

    WWW.THETEABEE.COM X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha definitely! You have to get a bit messy to eat a good burger!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You must go! I don't know how much longer it is on for!

    ReplyDelete

© this Northerner.

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig