Sunday 27 July 2014

Healthy snacks I've tried

Recently I've been trying to eat better. I am eating less processed junk and sticking to clean eating with gorgeous meals full of vegetables and snacking on lots of fruit. I've been looking for alternatives to snacks that I would have eaten such as crisps, jelly sweets and chocolate bars. I've been snooping round ASDA and Holland and Barrett to find these below.

Healthy Snacks suggestions from ASDA and Holland & Barrett

Metcalfe's Skinny Popcorn - ASDA £1.00
Popcorn is a great alternative to snacking on crisps as it is lower in calories and can come in savoury or sweet flavours to suit whatever you are craving. Although this is a light snack it is packed with flavour and you'll never feel like you are eating plain popcorn! I've tried sweet and salty, sweet cinnamon spice and Sargent salt. My favourite has to be the cinnamon one, it is so tasty!

Beauty Sweeties - H&B £1.99
I picked these up because even through the packaging these sweets smelled amazing! Such a sweet, subtle melon smell. They are gluten, lactose and gelatine free with a high fruit juice concentrate. The texture of these sweets is very strange, they kind of melt away in your mouth as you chew. The taste is okay but very sweet. I'm not really a fan of these but they could be a possible swap for people who love sweets!
Nature Crops Quinoa Nutrition Bar
This nutrition bar is a great alternative to a chocolate bar as it is filled with protein-rich quinoa. A lot of people may have had quinoa and thought it wasn't very nice but I assure when you get it right it is lovely. In this bar, the quinoa doesn't have a strong taste but acts as a base for the bar, almost like a biscuit would in a chocolate bar. It is filled with almonds which contain a lot of good fats and dark chocolate which is good for you in small doses. This bar is very yummy but I think to make it cleaner I want to start making my own!

Quinoa Crisps - H&B £1.99
These crisps have the texture of Walkers' Sunbites and are corrugated rectangle shapes rather than a traditional crisp shape. Made primarily with quinoa flour these crisps are suitable for vegans and vegetarians and gluten-free. They are great tasting crisps but the flavouring was a little bit too strong, but I'm sure that won't put some people off.

Urban Fruit Baked Mango - ASDA £2.00
I picked this up after seeing a few people review these on their blogs. This is basically mango that has been baked and nothing else - no preservatives or sugars. Although having said there is no sugar, this is no added sugar, the sugars from the fruit are quite high so you have to be mindful if you are eating a whole bag! The bite-size pieces in the bag aren't the most attractive snack but they do taste nice, almost like a tangy chewy mango. I'd definitely go and get another bag when I eat them all!
Although I've been trying out these few snacks you can't beat the basics. I've been trying to take as much fruit as possible with me to work so that I have something to eat when I am hungry to stop me buying something else from town. What I do struggle with is snacking on vegetables, this is my next task! Getting more veggies into my snacks.
Have you tried any of these? Got any new ones I should try? Any good snacks you can recommend?
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. I've been trying to get healthier recently so these recommendations are great! thank you x

    http://fancydressinvite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with you that the metcalfe's cinnamon flavour is the best! mmm... could eat some now.... :p

    Caroline.x
    notesfromcaroline.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes I love it! Yet to find it in ASDA though :(

      x

      Delete
  3. ohhh might have to try some of these, they all look so tasty! I love the metcalfe's sweet n' salt popcorn, it is one of my favourite snacks!!

    http://emilyjane94.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I've just written a post of 'naughty snack's which is completely the opposite to this! I think I need to try the Baked Mango, it sounds delicious, might sway me away from the naughty stuff :)

    Lyndsay | Fizzy Peaches

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha will have to have a look! :D

      Ooh yes its nice :) x

      Delete

© this Northerner.

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig