Sunday 22 June 2014

Healthy Breakfast Idea - Overnight Oats with Strawberry and Mango

Breakfast for me is usually a bowl of chocolate squares or coco pops when I get to work. Not exactly the most healthy of starts to the day! Researching clean/healthy eating led me to overnight oats. At first I thought they seemed very hard to make and that I wouldn't have all the ingredients, but how wrong I was. This is one of the easiest breakfasts that is very filling and can be changed to suit anyone's tastes.

Overnight Oats Strawberry and Mango - Clean Eating Breakfast

Overnight Oats Strawberry and Mango - Clean Eating Breakfast

Overnight Oats Strawberry and Mango - Clean Eating Breakfast

Overnight Oats Strawberry and Mango - Clean Eating Breakfast

Now please don't be afraid by the look of this (I added a bit too much milk to mine - we all get it wrong sometimes!) it does taste really nice!

Strawberry and Mango Overnight Oats
1/3 cup of oats
1/2 cup of almond milk (can be any milk you fancy)
A squirt of agave nectar (for sweetness - is optional)
1/2 tbsp chia seeds (again optional but good for you!)
2 handfuls of different fruit
These are rough measurements and if you like your oats more milky add more milk. This recipe will develop as you try it!

This recipe is extremely simple as you add all the ingredients together in a bowl or cup like mine (has to have a  lid) then shake it up and leave in the fridge overnight. In the time it spends in the fridge the oats and the chia seeds will soap up the milk and juices from the fruit to produce something like porridge in the morning. The difference is it is cold and full of fruit - very tasty!

I think the cold porridge takes a little getting used to but once you really get into overnight oats you can start making any creations you fancy! I've had strawberry and blueberry, but you could do apple and cinnamon or banana and almond butter - the possibilities are endless! Just to note I used frozen mango in mine, so you don't just need fresh fruit making this recipe even easier! What more do you need ey!

Love to know if you have a go - and if you like it!
SHARE:

17 comments

  1. Yum! Will defo try this and report back! Never actually had almond milk, is it nice?

    Lou :)
    whiskyandpancakes.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it doesn't really taste of much, much like milk haha! x

      Delete
  2. This sounds so tasty! Might give it a go myself! Xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do! It is super easy, and if you don't like it at least you tried! :) x

      Delete
  3. This looks so so yummy! I love almond milk, because it tastes really good, and I have a little intolerance to milk, so it's a fab substitute :) thanks for the lovely recipe, I'll definitely have to try it out x

    Olivia's Notebook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! Hopefully it will turn out well and you will like it! :D
      x

      Delete
  4. Oooo this looks well yummy. I keep meaning to try overnight oats. I may add it to my shopping list! Where did you get your chia seeds?x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got them from Holland and Barratt :) They have all sorts in there including Agave Nectar :) x

      Delete
  5. You can zap the oats in the microwave for a few seconds in the morning, just to take the chill off. It's a delicious breakfast but can be a bit of a shock if you have sensitive teeth!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, I might have to try this! Oats are my favourite thing for breakfast so this seems perfect!
    Kloe xx
    skullsnkisses.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes do! So easy to do and flavorsome as the oats take some of the fruity flavour! x

      Delete
  7. I've always wanted to try overnight oats but never really looked into it, will definitely be giving this a go :)
    wanderingnot-lost.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I was the same but they are super simple! x

      Delete
  8. I love overnight oats and have been meaning to try chai seeds! Everyone keeps raving about them! May have to get a little bag just to try next time I'm near a health shop!

    Tamsyn-Elizabeth
    Peach Pow XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they don't really add much in terms of taste but certainly good for you! Great in greek yogurt too to add a bit of crunch! :) x

      Delete
  9. Mango and strawbs are my fave! Mmmm :) this sounds SO easy too and pretty healthy. Great idea combining chia seeds too! Definitely going to try this and report back to you!!xx

    ReplyDelete

© this Northerner.

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig